Pre-bid, Pre-logo, Organizing Committees, Venue Bid Committees, Founders Club
Tampa Bay Host Venue - Bid Committee
The slogan "The Winning Edge" is a double entendre.
In addition to the obvious meaning, the bid committee was chaired by Mr. Cecil Edge.
Early + Miscellaneous
The Founders Club
| || || || || |
- When the United States was awarded the FIFA World Cup for 1994, money was short. The World Cup Organizing Committee had practically zero funds.
To get some "seed" money, the Founders Club was created. People who donated $5,000 and corporations that donated $50,000 would become members.
- There were 94 individual memberships and 12 corporate memberships sold which raised just over a million dollars to get things started.
- In addition to other perks, members of the Founders Club received 2 pins. The all gold one initially and the black and gold after a logo was chosen. Both pins had a limited production of
about 125 and are, therefore, probably the rarest and likely hardest to obtain pins in this collection. It could be said that these pins cost $5,000 ($2,500 each).
- A news story which includes the above information was published in the following article on July 10, 1988:
Washington Post: How The US Won The World Cup
- The 2 pins above were presented to me by Mr. Donald A. Mulligan, a member of the Founders Club.
The "all gold" pin is serial number 85.
This is not a commercial site. Nothing on this site is for sale.